University of Skill Enrichment & Technology
Our Brief History
The incumbent Government has been doing extraordinarily well to maintain the ‘middle income’ status of Bangladesh. Honorable Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has recently said that Bangladesh will achieve the goal to become a middle-income nation by 2021, three years ahead of the deadline set by the World Bank.
She has been working tirelessly for transforming Bangladesh into a ‘developed’ nation by 2041. This nation is recognized now all over the world as a ‘Role Model of Development’. The so-called, “Bottomless Basket” becomes “Over Flowing Bowl”.
In order to achieve the status of a ‘developed nation’ Bangladesh will face various challenges including:
- Advancement in Science & Technology
- Agriculture & Food Security
- Public Health
- Climate Change & Sustainability
- Economics, Business, & Socital Aspect
- Youth Employment
The USET, in a combination with vocational and technology-based education programs, will provide a unique opportunity to introduce a ‘Poly-Tech’ type education system in the higher education sector of Bangladesh. It should be noted that the Poly-Tech Universities have worked as strong catalysts for the development and industrialization of all the developed nations. Most of the top-ranked Universities in present days are Poly-Tech or Technical Universities in advanced nations. Moreover, the USET being a privately owned institution; is a step in the right direction with its ambitious courses to enrich skills at the tertiary level.
The USET, in a combination with vocational and technology-based education programs, will provide a unique opportunity to introduce the ‘Poly-Tech’ type education system in the higher education sector of Bangladesh. It should be noted that the Poly-Tech Universities have worked as strong catalysts for the development and industrialization of all the developed nations. Most of the top-ranked Universities in present days are Poly-Tech or Technical Universities in advanced nations. Moreover, the USET being a privately owned institution is a step in the right direction with its ambitious courses to enrich skills at the tertiary level. The major specialties of USET are mentioned below:
- It will create higher education facilities in a combination with technical and technology-based education in a backward area like Meghna and its surrounding Upazilas. This is in line with the present Government’s policy that Universities should be decentralized and spread out to rural and semi-rural areas in order to provide opportunities to the students located in the regional and backward areas. To date, USET is the first privately owned technical University in the country. Having the plan to build in Meghna Upazila, USET is facilitating the HPM Sheikh Hasina’s dream that ‘Every Upazila would have technical education centers’.
- USET will create strong skilled manpower by introducing the so-called ‘Dual’ technical education systems existing in the EU countries. The implementation of this type of education system will be based on various problems and programs oriented subjects with practical implementation in industrial sectors and rural development.
Our vision is to provide higher education services to rural and disadvantaged areas.
Our mission is to foster a committed team of highly skilled persons, dedicated to providing effective service solutions to the USET. It will introduce international curricula to enrich skill for 21st century Bangladesh.
The USET is offering socially relevant academic programs consisting of a substantial general education component in all undergraduate programs. The aim of USET is to recruit and retain good students, well-trained faculty with graduate degrees from overseas, qualified staff, promoting effective teaching, and quality research.
Facts About USET
University of Skill Enrichment and Technology (USET) is a University for the 21st century. It has been designed to create a skilled workforce from the technical and vocational education system developing a pathway to higher education for the workforce. The absolute aim is to train the large unemployed young population of the country to turn them into demographic dividend rather than a burden.
The USET got approval both from UGC and Government in August 2019. The approval has been given to a temporary campus established at Signboard (confluence of Dhaka-Chattagram Highway and Dhaka-Narayangonj Link Road) for a period of initial 6-7 years. Having planned to build the permanent campus in Meghna Upazila, the primary focus is to bring higher education facilities to surrounding Upazilas. These are in and around the mighty rivers Meghna and Gumuti and their tributaries including Homna, Titash, Muradnagar, Daudkandi, Motlab North and Gazaria.